Sunday, December 12, 2010

1.1 - Start Here

My name is Mike..

I am a semi retired engineer from Australia and this is more than just my story.. its something I desperately want to say to the whole world. Something I wish someone else had said but they havn't.. so here goes.

Life is full of mystery.. some questions have answers and some don't or on closer inspection have deeply implied contradictions which are not comprehensible to our way of thinking. Take infinity.. ok on the surface something which just goes on with no end? Well if that is not difficult enough what about the fact that we can show or prove mathematically that some infinities are bigger than others! I'd say it is clear that any claim to understanding infinity is bollocks.. but we are aware of the concept.. and it is the only solution to any number n divided by 0. There are heaps of examples but I won't bore you with that now.

Most people have some difficulty with mathematics and even in disciplines which rely on it heavily like engineering and even physics you don't have to be a natural genius at it to get what you need from it and use it. I decided early on in my high school education to "ASK QUESTIONS".. stop the teacher and help them achieve their goal to teach effectively.. I ended up liking maths! But I am saying this because I don't want to put anyone off just because I am of necessity going to have to include some math based stuff.

Where am I going with this.. where else.. Infinity and Beyond! I seriously want to talk about what we actually know about the biggest questions we can ask.. and my journey over the past 41 years doing that. Please stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment